Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Make your own Tutu DIY


I always wondered how to make my own Tutu. So a quick google search reveals many tutorials available. Loads of hints and ideas and a wonderful range of colour combinations to make that perfect tutu.

We had a birthday recently so I decided to put these new tutu skills to use. This is a very simplified version of what I did, do a search you will find a lot of tutorials available.

There are so many different colours of tulle, choose some soft tulle so it's not too scratchy. I chose 5 colours for a rainbow looking tutu. Cut into 3 inch strips, fold in half this will be the length of your tutu. Snip the ends (not the folded end) off to create a fish tail effect.

Measure the waistline of the tutu wearer and add extra to either side. You can use ribbon or elastic. Tie the ribbon or elastic together into a circle. Stretch onto the back of a chair, this handy hint made it easy to tie the strips on.

Gather 3 strips of tulle together, I used different colours each time, and work your way around the elastic or ribbon. Measure as you go to fit the tutu wearer.

I'm very happy with the results and this year will be the year all little girls we know will be receiving a tutu for their birthday!

No comments: